Has anyone had Fresh Market chicken salad? Growing up we used to eat it by the pound… daily. I think the most unusual thing about it was the way the chicken was shredded so much it seemed to melt in your mouth. Each bite was a little treat. I have not been able to replicate the texture, until recently. The secret you ask, crock pot! I used the meat from one breast from a whole chicken cooked in the crock pot. I haven’t done it but I think cooking boneless chicken breasts in the crock pot will give the same results.
1 breast of Chicken – About 2 Cups
1/4 cup mayo + extra for moisture
1/2 Tbsp. Dry Mustard
1/2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped Celery
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
Splash of Lemon Juice
1. Place Chicken in the Crock Pot. Cook on Low for 8 hours. Remove the Chicken and shred it. Place the Chicken in the Fridge to cool it.
2. Combine Mayo, Brown Sugar, Mustard, and a Splash of Lemon Juice. Mix Well.
3. Add Celery, Raisins, Walnuts. Combine
4. Gradually add Chicken. It will be pretty dry, so add Mayo until you reach a consistency you like. Remember a little goes a long way, so add Mayo in small amounts.
5. This step is KEY… Let the chicken salad sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours. The more time the better it gets.
Hope you enjoy it!